WELCOME

Welcome Stitchers and Friends! This blog is about my wee cottage industry: Fearn Abbey Needleworks; and about my own personal stitching adventures. Have a wee look around and see if we can be stitching friends. Thank you for stopping by!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Sew...Sow...So

SEW...

Two Valentine's charts are in the works here at Fearn Abbey Needleworks.  And others are in the design stage!  As usual, I have WAAAYYYY misjudged how long it will take me to stitch up the models.  I'm nearly done with this first one.  Ummm...yes...it's a lamb inside a heart.  It was the sweetest thing I could think of!


Aside from the subject matter, one of the things I really like about these two designs (the second one coming soon...I hope) is how versatile they are.  The are done in lovely pastel shades with lots of pinks and a red.  They are stitched on cream Aida, giving them a slightly vintage effect.  Each one has a lace-like stitched border and words you might find on a Conversation Heart.  You could choose to stitch just the heart and what's inside...or, you could add the words as well...or, you could do the complete chart with the border...or, you could do the border and the heart, but no words.  Your choice!

I'm planning on turning the finished designs into throw pillows, sort of like the one below.  The chart for that one, by the way, can be found on Patterns Online.


SOW...

I thought I might share with you a bit of my process.  I am SO not a big deal designer with all kinds of help, technology, etc.  When I decide on a design, it generally sits in my brain for quite awhile and I turn it over and over and live with it.  Eventually, it becomes some sort of graphic...often a sketch with colored pencils.  The sketch may only be a sort of initial thought.  Once I think I've got the design in my head, I start charting it.


Charting is a long process for me because I do not have a fancy computer or a wonderful cross stitch design program with all the bells and whistles.  I usually choose my colors as I'm charting, and the fact is, even if I had stitchers to help with the models, I probably couldn't work that way because I often adjust and change colors as I'm stitching.  I do have a very basic charting program on my very old computer, and I like it because I can print out very large charts from it, complete with the 10-stitches-per-square layout.

As you can see from the above and below photos, my original St Thomas drawing and my St Thomas completed cross stitch came out quite different!  


SO...

Even though I have lots of designs brewing, I can't produce them all that fast.  And if I'm making up a kit, good grief, it takes even longer!  This all means I really appreciate all you lovely folks who read my blog and like my charts and freebies.  I am thankful for your patience, and for everyone who has hung in there with me!  THANK YOU! 

I will be posting and listing my first Valentine chart ASAP (the one you see above), and starting the second one.  I am also planning a freebie soon.  Please check back!  And happy stitching (because, after all, that's the whole point, right?)!!

post signature

1 comment:

Kate said...

Lovely design!!

ShareThis