WELCOME

Welcome Stitchers and Friends! This blog is about my wee cottage industry: Fearn Abbey Needleworks; and about my own personal stitching adventures. Have a wee look around and see if we can be stitching friends. Thank you for stopping by!

Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Simple Finishing Idea

Hello friends!  It's Saturday.  Sadly, my dear husband has to work on Saturdays...but we have a whole week off coming up.  Yay!

I have a new design just finished, and I thought I'd be able to show it to you today.  Alas, I am still waiting for the wee embellishment I want to use on it to arrive by mail.  Hopefully I'll have it up and ready to go for Monday.  Meanwhile, I am stitching up another freebie I can't wait to share with you.  It should be ready early next week, as well.

So, I thought I'd talk about finishing.  Yes, yes.  Framing is ideal most of the time.  And very costly.  Pillows, pinkeeps or pincushions are good.  But sometimes I want to finish a design quickly and with as little expense as possible.  I'm sure anyone who stitches a LOT often feels the same way.  Here's one of the things I sometimes do:
This cute little design ~ about 4" by 6" ~ is wrapped around heavy card.  Then, it is mounted on a piece of foam board which has been covered with two layers of scrapbook backing paper.  Finally, it has a premade satin ruffle finishing the edge.  Any type of trim would work ~ whatever you prefer.  On the back, a simple triangular picture hanger is glued on.  The finished picture is A5 size, or 8.3 X 5.8 inches, and it weighs nothing to hang on the wall.  I had all of the items at home already, except for the ruffle.  The finished product is 3-dimensional.  

The design, by the way, was a freebie off an old website no longer available that was owned by Pamela Kellogg.  It's a really lovely design, and I so enjoyed stitching it.

Anyway, just a few thoughts on alternative ways to finish off a stitched picture.  Does anyone have other ideas they'd like to share?

Thanks for stopping by...and have a great weekend!
post signature

No comments:

ShareThis